Thursday, October 31, 2013

Healthier Inner Dialogue - WrapUp

Thank you so much for joining me every day in October for the 31-day Challenge. Myquillyn, the genius over at the Nesting Place, has hosted the 31-day challenge for the past five years and this was the first year that I joined up.

We've been talking about creating a healthier inner dialogue and getting rid of our stinkin' thinkin'. I found it difficult to write something each day without succumbing to harried writing or a preaching tone but here we are, and I would definitely recommend you consider taking part next year. (I know I will be).

Here are some of the things that I learned this month:

I love slam poetry. Never heard of it before I went looking for some commentary on beauty, but I am struck by its power now.

We all seem to be in the same boat. Oh we might have different names for our hangups, but we all having little things that trip us up and we are all working on improving those things.

We all seem to be striving to be better, to do better, and to accept our wonderful selves just as we are too, not an easy dichotomy.

It feels really good to take on a challenge at the start of the month and then sail past the finish line, a little bruised and roughed up, but successful.

There are some brilliant gals out there commenting. 

Here are some of them:

Lisa Handley from Paper and Ponder commented on the 'Different' blog post: "Your post reminded me that each & every one of us, despite similarities and shared views & interests, is ultimately different. This, in turn, prompted me to think about how becoming courageous & comfortable with being & expressing our "different" selves can resonate with others, & by reaching out through sharing our different perspectives, we can end up connecting on common ground."

Stacy from Magic Love Crow says: "Tell your friends that you know, to wake up in the morning and say to themselves, they are a beautiful Goddess! And, tell them to look in a mirror when the say it too ;o) "

Maureen Hayes of Being Chronically Ill Is A Pill responded to the 'Should' post with this: "I had to laugh when I read this because a few years ago I was struggling with using the "s" word (should) until a friend explained that when we do that we "should all over ourselves!". It made such an impression on me that I no longer use the word should in that context because I don't want to "should" on myself."

Did you learn anything from this month of posts on how to achieve a healthier inner dialogue?

6 comments:

Kei said...

Really enjoyed your Healthier Inner Dialogue series ^_^

Tina Bradley said...

I'm with Kei! I have enjoyed tuning in. I, too, found myself enchanted with slam poetry after reading a recent post of yours. :) Hugs! T. http://tickledpinkwoman.blogspot.com

Paper And Ponder said...

Congratulations on completing your challenge, Terry! I enjoyed your posts & the thoughts & dialogue your insights & contemplations prompted in all of us. You're creating ripples outward with your writing!

Magic Love Crow said...

Bravo Terry!! An excellent month with you!! I enjoyed everyday! I sincerely mean that!!! I don't think I will be using "should" anymore either, after what Maureen wrote! LOL! Take Care, hugs ;o)

Mindy said...

It's over already?!

And dear lord, I hope I never should all over myself.

Maureen Hayes said...

Great series Terry! You really for me thinking about a lot of things and trying to make some changes for the better. Hey, we live in a tough world that is always willing to tell us what we are doing wrong, why add to that mess by beating ourselves up to boot! Thanks for writing the series, I think you've helped a lot of us with your brave and insightful posts.

Hugs,
Maureen