Sunday, October 6, 2013

Healthier Inner Dialogue - Affirmations

As we discussed yesterday, one of the most detrimental habits we have may be negative thinking. With a little bit of initial effort, the pessimistic view can be replaced with self-affirming dialogue.

Affirmations do not cost a penny, they do not require any additional time to perform, and you do not need any particular skill to use them. Sounds perfect? It just might be.


If you're not sure what an affirmation is, The Free Dictionary defines it as: something declared to be true; a positive statement or judgment. I just think of it as positive self-talk.

Here are a few other views on affirmations:

"Because affirmations actually reprogram your thought patterns, they change the way you think and feel about things, and because you have replaced dysfunctional beliefs with your own new positive beliefs, positive change comes easily and naturally." Vital Affirmations

"I have seen the benefits of affirmations first hand.  For me, affirmations have become my confidence cream.  Instructions for use are simple:  apply liberally and no less than daily."  Tina Bradley, Tickled Pink Woman

“All that we are is the result of what we have thought. The mind is everything. What we think we become.” Buddha

How powerful - what we think, we become.

When I first started using affirmations, I would always draw a blank about what to say.  Here are some suggestions to get you started:

Whatever happens, I'll handle it.  Susan Jeffers
It's all happening perfectly.  Susan Jeffers
As I improve my thoughts day to day, more good things are drawn to me. Thought Will Create
Whatever I need is already here, and it is all for my highest good.  Dr. Wayne Dyer
There is no limit to what I can do or who I can be.  Jamie Fleming Dixon

I have also installed a daily affirmation generator in the right side bar so that you can pop over and grab an affirmation whenever you need one. Just refresh the screen to get a new one.

Have you done affirmations before? What are your favourites? Right now I am rocking the "Whatever happens, I'll handle it." one from Susan Jeffers.  Makes me feel ultra powerful.

4 comments:

Tina Bradley said...

Thanks for the mention, Terry!!! Affirmations have, indeed, become a part of my daily "getting ready" routine--both literally and figuratively (I apply that good old confidence cream each day). Truly, it's results are amazing. xo T.

Etcetorize said...

Ooooh! I love the affirmation generator. I believe whole heartedly in affirmations, I just 'forget' to do them. Back on my to-do list though~

Tara @ Suburble said...

What a great post, Terry! I don't use affirmations, but I'm sure that I should. They seem incredibly calming.

I will borrow one of these and try it!

Magic Love Crow said...

My two favorites I use when I meditate are, Everything is good, everything is right and I am a sexy Crow Goddess ;o)))
When I was ill, I would say all positive affirmations in front of a candle ;o)