Friday, October 18, 2013

Healthier Inner Dialogue - Check In

Gretchen Rubin, the Happiness Project guru, has the greatest idea to prevent snapping and being grumpy. It is free, doesn't take any special skills, and is almost effortless.

What is it?



She checks in with herself periodically throughout the day. Yep, that's it. So simple and yet so awesome.

It really is taking mindfulness and applying it very specifically to yourself. If you know what triggers you to be grumpy, and you are focusing on how you're feeling, then you should be able to circumvent most meltdowns.

I have a handful of recurrent culprits: I'm hungry, I'm getting a headache, I'm overstimulated (I'm a huge introvert), or I have to pee (I'm like a little kid who doesn't want to stop playing to go pee).

If I make a point of checking in with myself a couple of times a day, I can easily remedy these physical scenarios before my mood suffers:

  • I'm hungry - I get something to eat.
  • I'm getting a headache - I take an ibuprofen, do some stretches.
  • I'm overstimulated - I get myself some quiet alone time, pronto.
  • I have to pee - well duh, go pee.

It's amazing how much this has already helped. As an added bonus, you can use this technique on your kids too. If you know they didn't sleep well last night, maybe try to put off grocery shopping until tomorrow. If lunch is eaten religiously at 12:30, maybe don't plan to be running errands at that time. Check in with them to make sure that they aren't experiencing unnecessary physical irritations and they're bound to respond better.

Obviously, this won't eliminate every bad mood, but when you aren't being triggered physically, just imagine how your patience can be so much stronger. What is your big physical trigger that will catapult you into grumpy land?

3 comments:

Tina Bradley said...

Somebody needs to check in us--might as well be us, right? I totally agree--that consistent inner dialogue (along with actions) is essential! Hugs, T.

Magic Love Crow said...

You know what? I don't think I really get grumpy? I think I get more quiet, when something is bothering me. I walk away. Then, if I can, I either go outside or paint and really think about things ;o)

ChiWei @ One Dog Woof said...

Hormones. That is all.