Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Healthier Inner Dialogue - Don't Believe What You Think

I have had two recent revelations about my thoughts. The first is that I should not believe every idea that goes through my mind.  The second is that even if my impressions are true, I might be wise to ignore them.
The other day I was listening to a Tranquility du Jour podcast on making your creative mark. It featured Eric Maisel. Maisel is a stuffy-looking, somewhat brusque man who strikes me as more than a little pompous, but man oh man, is he amazing.

In the podcast he mentions:

"We have to be careful of countenancing* even true thoughts and being held hostage to even true thoughts. We only want to be thinking thoughts that serve us.

We think lots of thoughts that do not serve us and we have to dispute them and substitute thoughts that do serve us."

* countenancing means to admit as acceptable or possible (I had to look it up, thought you might need some help with it too)

Did it ever occur to you that you didn't have to listen to your thoughts, even if your thoughts were true? This is a new one for me.

Let's say I think, "There are a lot of other bloggers out there so my chance of becoming a successful blogger isn't very big." This might be entirely true, but it isn't going to serve me very well to think it.

So, I substitute another thought. "There are a lot of bloggers out there, but I have a unique voice and I am willing to work hard." The second statement doesn't hold me back. Both ideas are true but only one of them is going to serve me, so I only latch onto the beneficial thought.

I'm excited to read more of Eric Maisel's work. I'll keep you posted as I do. The podcast is a great one for all creative people. 

4 comments:

Tina Bradley said...

I recently purchased one of Eric's books for my iPad. It's a creativity book, and I'm looking forward to reading it! I think I heard that same podcast. You are indeed correct. He sounds a bit stuffy, pretentious--but his wisdom is spot on, isn't it? Hugs! T.

Mindy said...

Very interesting perspective that I had never thought of.

Paper And Ponder said...

A much more productive way to talk to ourselves! I need to remember this in my own inner dialogue, shifting from limiting words to those that remain open to possibility.

Magic Love Crow said...

Very, very interesting Terry! I tend to day dream a lot! Hmmmm..just wondering about my day dreaming and my thoughts? My day dreaming takes me to my painting. Ok, I am confused now, are you? LOL! I didn't know what countenancing meant, thank you ;o)