Sunday, April 7, 2013

Five Minute Friday - After

How did it get to be Friday so quickly this week?  I guess I shouldn't complain, right!

Time for Five Minute Friday.  If you want to join in, this week's theme is "After" and here is the link.

Lisa-Jo Baker


Okay, five minutes:  no over-thinking, no editing, no backtracking.

GO

So it's Sunday and I still haven't even started to write anything.  The theme for this week is 'after' and I keep thinking,..."after what"?  Which is really the whole point.  Yes, after what?

But I can't get past that.  I don't tend to look forward all that well.  Can't take a peek into the future to see where I might be after where I am.  It's just not what I do.  They say that depressed people tend to look backwards and anxious people tend to look forward.  I guess I don't fit that profile because I am definitely anxious and definitely find myself looking back instead of forward.

How else can I beat myself up for my perceived mistakes? If I spend my time in the future, I can't berate this decision or those words.  Phew, wouldn't that leave me a lot of free time.  And energy.  Examining and judging take up so much of my energy, my time, my esteem.  Wouldn't it be great to be on the other side, the after, and not look back.  Wouldn't it be great to be able to peek forward occasionally, but mostly just settle into the now.  Into the present.

Wouldn't it be great to be mindfully present in the, well, the present.  :)

I've been doing a lot of self-help book reading this month and it is finally starting to dent into my neurotic love of bashing myself, and I have to say, it feels great.  It feels lighter and more energetic and absolutely in sync with spring and rejuvenation.  Waking up from hibernating.

Where do you tend to spend your time? In the past? In the future? Or right here in the present, enjoying your life?

STOP

I just finished the book The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz and the very first agreement that he talks about relates to being kind and loving when speaking about yourself.  How often do we do this?  I think that most of us are more than eager to offer compassion and understanding to our neighbours, our friends, people we run into in the grocery store.  But how often do we offer that same kindness to ourselves?

Do you find that you compare yourself to others and don't measure up?  Is this something that you struggle with as well?

6 comments:

Tina Bradley said...

Beautiful reminders as we enter this gorgeous new season! The Four Agreements is one book that has changed my life for the better. It's helped me to redirect myself on numerous occasions--and rethink my actions/thoughts.

Macey said...

Well...I guess it's definitely AFTER Friday? :)

Mindy said...

No, I always measure up. Buwahahahaha. There's probably a book out there that could help me. Then again.....
Seriously though, I find myself beating up on other people more than myself. Just to clarify, I don't mean physically, although some days I would love to beat some of the people in my house. I'm pretty sure that would fall under the "projection" category. The more you yell at and blame other people, the less you have to face and deal with yourself. Or something like that. I should write my own self-help book. I'm great at telling other people how screwed up they are. :o)

Gloria said...

It's a push-pull for me, looking back to learn from mistakes and taking a step forward, only to get hesitant with all the what ifs. With the years drifting away, there's probably no good excuse not to do the looking forward part, to enjoy what's left.

Great post, Terry ♥

I just heard about The Four Agreements and mean to check it out. I'm usually harder on myself than on others.

Magic Love Crow said...

Excellent writing again Terry! I think we all struggle with things, but I very rarely compare myself to others, or get jealous of others. You have to love yourself and all your little quirks ;o) That's what makes us special and unique! I am proud to have real breasts! LOL! I may not have a full head of hair, but on the bright side, it takes less time to get ready ;o) LOL! For me, I day dream alot. I don't know if this is good? I think about the past, but I am excited for the future. I try to live everyday to the fullest ;o) As the old saying goes, life is too short!
(Like to see what you painted!)

Feisty Mama said...

Interesting writing I agree with you I am anxious and tend to look backward too.