Thursday, March 14, 2013

Those Are Flowers?

I stumbled upon this watercolour tutorial on Ink Stitch.  Denice does a great job with explaining this and I am amazed that such a simple process produces such a cool finished project.  This is Denice's version:

Ink Stitch


I started off with a piece of cardboard from a pasta box (one of my usual culprits because I'm cheap frugal).  So I started with coats of acrylic paint instead of watercolour in butter yellow to get started.

Then I did a haphazard spray of yellow at the top, red in the middle and green at the bottom.

Now, time to add in the flowers.  This was something close to hilarious.  After I saw my attempt (which someone in my house, who shall remain nameless, referred to as 'something a 4-year-old might do', lol), I pulled out a sketch pad and got to work making flowers.  Apparently, I need some practice in this area.

Here is how mine ended up:




I'll try this tutorial again when I get some watercolour paper because Denice's version is so pretty.  I'll let you know when I do.  What is your most recent,...uh,...room for improvement piece?



7 comments:

Tina Bradley said...

Looks like a fun project! Love the use of pink! :)

Macey said...

I like it!

Danni@SiloHillFarm said...

I'm glad you are having fun with paint! I'm looking forward to the next one!

Kei said...

Hurrah for painting! Nothing wrong at all with painting on a pasta box. Better than just tossing it out!
Acrylics are awesome to paint with, I think. If you want a similar effect to watercolour, I've found you have to use a looooot of water with it. I'm not artistic genius though and my attempts at painting always end up with curled/buckled pages and watermarks lol
Hope you're enjoying the painting anyway! :)

Gloria said...

To answer your question, "all of them." I like your sense of frugality, Terry.

Mindy said...

LOL - sorry, I just couldn't help but laugh. It is actually pretty, though. I love the colors, and you know me and flowers. :)

Magic Love Crow said...

You know what, it's modern art ;o) LOL! It's actually not that bad! Just a little hint, because I don't use water colors. Take very little of your acrylic paint, and a very tiny amount of water and mix it. It shouldn't be watery! Dab on your paint, then dab the excess off and paint away! That's how I get a very light affect. Have fun ;o) I am proud of you!!!