Thursday, March 14, 2013

Those Are Flowers?

I stumbled upon this watercolour tutorial on Ink Stitch.  Denice does a great job with explaining this and I am amazed that such a simple process produces such a cool finished project.  This is Denice's version:

Ink Stitch


I started off with a piece of cardboard from a pasta box (one of my usual culprits because I'm cheap frugal).  So I started with coats of acrylic paint instead of watercolour in butter yellow to get started.

Then I did a haphazard spray of yellow at the top, red in the middle and green at the bottom.

Now, time to add in the flowers.  This was something close to hilarious.  After I saw my attempt (which someone in my house, who shall remain nameless, referred to as 'something a 4-year-old might do', lol), I pulled out a sketch pad and got to work making flowers.  Apparently, I need some practice in this area.

Here is how mine ended up:




I'll try this tutorial again when I get some watercolour paper because Denice's version is so pretty.  I'll let you know when I do.  What is your most recent,...uh,...room for improvement piece?



7 comments:

Tina Bradley said...

Looks like a fun project! Love the use of pink! :)

MiMi said...

I like it!

Danni Baird @ Silo Hill Farm said...

I'm glad you are having fun with paint! I'm looking forward to the next one!

Kei said...

Hurrah for painting! Nothing wrong at all with painting on a pasta box. Better than just tossing it out!
Acrylics are awesome to paint with, I think. If you want a similar effect to watercolour, I've found you have to use a looooot of water with it. I'm not artistic genius though and my attempts at painting always end up with curled/buckled pages and watermarks lol
Hope you're enjoying the painting anyway! :)

Gloria said...

To answer your question, "all of them." I like your sense of frugality, Terry.

Mindy said...

LOL - sorry, I just couldn't help but laugh. It is actually pretty, though. I love the colors, and you know me and flowers. :)

Magic Love Crow said...

You know what, it's modern art ;o) LOL! It's actually not that bad! Just a little hint, because I don't use water colors. Take very little of your acrylic paint, and a very tiny amount of water and mix it. It shouldn't be watery! Dab on your paint, then dab the excess off and paint away! That's how I get a very light affect. Have fun ;o) I am proud of you!!!