Friday, March 15, 2013

Rest

I have just stumbled across this fabulous blogger, Lisa-Jo Baker. She is many things including being a huge source of inspiration and motivation, especially for moms, but not exclusively. I am really excited about this 5-minute Friday idea that she has. Here's how it works: you check out the topic of the week (this week is 'rest'), then write for 5 minutes. You're not allowed to over think it, not allowed to go back, and not allowed to edit anything. Just write. Then share at her linky party. Sounds exhilarating and terrifying.  :)

So that's what's happening here today. I would love it if you would participate as well. Let me know if you do so I can check out what you've written.

5 Minute Friday

Here goes - 5 minutes - no editing.  (yikes)

REST

I am an anxious person. I worry about things, I stew about things, I obsess about things. And not even really important things. More like,...if I make a fabulous meal for company and there is one tiny thing that isn't perfect (like the chicken could have used a bit more salt), then the entire thing is a failure. Or, if I take the  puppy to puppy class, where she is surrounded by 12 others crazy little fur babies, and she acts up or is rude, well that's a mini-catastrophe.

My rational self knows that is silly, and if you were anxious about things like that, I would have the most compassionate, supportive pep talk to share with you. I haven't been able to get it to work with myself though. I struggle, but I still stress.

And it's tiring. So incredibly tiring to try to be perfect at everything. To be perfect for others, but also to be perfect for myself, because if there isn't perfection, then what is there?

So I need a rest. A big old rest from perfection, a rest from anxiety, a rest from that kind of pressure. Instead, I am striving to relax, to be more compassionate towards myself, and to strive for more healthy goals.

Like good enough. Have you heard that quote: Perfection is the enemy of good. (did I get close on it? I'm something of a paraphraser at heart). So instead of aiming for perfection, and stressing about perfection, instead, I am going to aim for good. Good and healthy, and give myself a rest.  (that's 5 minutes)




I must confess that I popped back up to fix the typos (I can't go cold turkey, lol), but I didn't change anything which is incredibly scary.





7 comments:

Amanda said...

I share your perfectionism! I also struggle to let go of little things and rest. Visiting from Five Minute Friday. :-)

Unknown said...

Stopping in from FMF...and you are so on the money with your post. I'm a perfectionist at heart, letting go and asking God to perfect Himself in me and teach me to let go! Loved your post and look forward to linking up with you at Lisa Jo's weekly party!

Tina Bradley said...

Professed perfectionist--I own it. This post shares a meaningful (and timely) message I needed to hear today.

Joyce said...

Visiting from Five Minute Friday today...I relate to your perfectionist tendencies and have a few of my own : ) I stressed a little over the 'no editing' instructions in this prompt, but am glad I participated. There is a lot of great writing in this link up!

Have a nice weekend!

Pam @Threading My Way said...

Oh, I can SO relate to your post, Terry!!! I have even gone back and deleted comments on a blog, because of a typo, spelling mistake or a grammatical error, then retyped the comment. There's no way I could ever publish a post without correcting the typos!!!

Mindy said...

Sounds like a typical day in my head. :)
The five minute writing is sort of a genius idea.

Magic Love Crow said...

This is fantastic Terry! Truly! You know your perfect and my perfect, are probably two different things! So, take it easy ;o) But, don't look at my finger nails, because I don't have any! Me worry about things, never! LOL!